Why are graphics important to layout design?


Graphics are important to layout design because with one simple picture, say a car, an entire idea can be portrayed and a tone can be set for that piece of media. For example, if I was trying to purchase a lot of beat up, run down, rusted out cars, a graphic I would chose for a print ad would be of the worst looking rust bucket I could find. I would not be expecting to only buy this type of vehicle but the tone is implied that I will buy any old car.
The use of graphics change across media in many ways. Think about television; when a show is on the broadcasting logo is generally in the bottom right hand corner. It is usually transparent and un-intrusive. Yet it is there and we all notice it. But when that same station is promoting a new show or a line-up of their shows the broadcasting company logo is usually moving, or has color flowing across it, or is in some way being altered so it gets noticed.
Graphics get used to generate an idea. When deciding what type of graphic to use a person needs to think about the audience and how they will receive the information. When I write a memo to my employees I do not usually include graphics. I want the information received and implemented immediately. But when I am congratulation someone or am inviting people to a holiday party I will generally through a few graphics on the letter to lighten the mood and set a positive tone.

This entry was posted in

Leave a Reply